[coreboot] IDE cable select question

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Feb 22 21:23:56 CET 2008

On 22.02.2008 21:03, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:
>> Quoting ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com>:
>>> I think coreboot has to do it ... if the kernel can not.
>>> ron
>> Ok then, I think it may complicate things too much if we had a
>> IDENTIFY_DRIVE command query to the drive (Note: this command query is
>> also used for DMA settings). That would be like basicly re-writing an
>> IDE driver??
> After some futher reading, I don't know if this would even be possible
> with coreboot. It would have to be done with filo (file does this
> command query anyways and prints out the drive model number) when the
> drives are fully initialized. Looks like senerio number two...
>> So, I propose a global option (IDE_CABLE = 40 or 80) that can easily
>> be adjusted from Config.lb in the targets directory, that sets the
>> value for a simple function in
>> src/southbridge/intel/i82801xx/i82801xx_ide.c.
>> Does that make sense?
> If there are no objections I will submit a patch. What coreboot system
> files need to be modified for a global option?

Can you please check with the Linux IDE guys? The matter is horribly
complicated because you have to check whether the 80-wire cable was
detected by the controller and check the same for the drive.
linux-ide at vger.kernel.org is the address you want to write to and the
experts there can tell you exactly what the BIOS is expected to do.