[coreboot] [RFC] port bochs-bios to gcc

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Mon Feb 25 10:44:55 CET 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:34:29PM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
>
>> I do wonder... if coreboot builds pirq, mptable, ACPI, and e820
>> tables.  Why not have it also populate that other bios "table" -
>> the 64K one at 0xf0000-0xfffff?
>>

> If by "table" you mean code the answer is that coreboot does not like
> callbacks by design.
>
> Otherwise I guess we have to store legacy data struct wherever they
> can be found.

One thing though:

I do believe we should merge what we call ADLO as another loader into
v3. Augusto Pedroza wrote a patch for that for GSoC iirc.

Just like we have ELF loading and lar segment loading and VSA loading now.

Maybe we could even use the VSA loader to run bochs bios, instead of
ADLO? It's all 16bit lumber ;)

Then using BIOS compatibility would just mean putting a bochsbios.bin
into the lar.

ADLO is so fragile because it was written in assembler (so no stack is
needed?!?), reimplementing all the things we have in coreboot in C. So
recognizing that it just another loader would simplify and stabilize
things quite a bit.

Someone might say we can do this with libpayload or by adding a lot of
chipset specific code to ADLO and rewrite it from scratch. Then we're at
2500 lines of code instead of 25 and we have a nasty multi-staging.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613