[coreboot] some thoughts on dts vs. Kconfig vs. makefiles vs. C code

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri Feb 29 16:35:08 CET 2008

On 28/02/08 10:40 -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> I have no idea if this helps. But there's been discussion of "DRAM
> settings in DTS" and "where does CARBASE go" and so on, so I think we
> need to try to document some rules. Here is a first cut.

Excellent.  I feel compelled to chime in on behalf of buildrom.  The
fewer files that we need to copy and/or modify from buildrom to
coreboot-v3 to get what we need, the happier we will be.   If we find
ourselves constantly changing values in the dts or in Makefiles, then
that should be a really good clue that perhaps the value belongs in
Kconfig instead.  I don't think anybody likes how we're doing configuration
now - I look forward to being able to copy a single .config file in
place, or, at the worst, being able to construct a single .config file
with the changes we need.

Please keep this in mind.

Jordan

--