[LinuxBIOS] Intel refactoring and microcode updates

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jan 11 03:09:51 CET 2008

On 11.01.2008 02:53, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
> Quoting Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:
>

>> Do you see any way to solve the "size problem" for sockets with too many
>> different cores?
>>
> Not sure what you mean? How many different cores could you put in even
> the most popular socket, three?

No, I was talking about the problems to keep all microcodes available
for all processor types that could be plugged into a given socket. To
express it another way: "no BIOS changes needed as long as the processor
fits electrically and mechanically into the socket". Depending on the
socket, that might be a lot of different microcode updates you have to
keep in ROM.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel