[coreboot] LAR walking madness

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Wed Jan 16 18:53:17 CET 2008

On 16/01/08 10:41 -0700, Marc Jones wrote:

> ron minnich wrote:
>

> > It seems like you've added two slightly more complicated ways to do
> > things where one simple one would have done: an end-of-entries LAR
> > header. Limiting payload segments to two is going to cause us trouble
> > now and forever, I think. And I'd still like to have a microcode/
> > directory, and a rom/ directory, each with an undefined # of entries.
> > I think the LAR is going to be used in the future in ways we can not
> > imagine now. So solving those two cases won't help future uses.
>
> I agree. I would like to use the LAR for microcode and for Geode VSA for
> starters.

Not to pile on, but I agree 100%.

The problem is that we've demonstrated conclusively in v2 that understanding
arbitrary blobs of non-payload data is mandatory for nearly architecture
we deal with. The initial design of LAR allowed for unlimited and arbitrary
blobs (either through careful design or luck).  If now the limitations of LAR
are starting to outweigh the benefits, then we either have to account for
them, or scratch LAR and start over.

Jordan

--
Jordan Crouse