[coreboot] Filo Issues on LX-800

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Fri Jan 18 04:41:23 CET 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:53:29AM -0800, mark wolfe wrote:
> Device 0f.0 is the 5536 IDE.
> Device 11.0 is the Sata controller.
>
> Filo wants to treat the Sata controller as IDE 0, while I was
> trying to get this thing to run off the 5536 and ignore the Sata
> drives.  Since the 5536 is found first, you'd think it'd boot off
> the 5536.

Can you get FILO to read at all from the 5536? hdc? hde? I'll have
a quick look at the PCI device scanning.

> Filo reads the menu.lst and goes after the kernel, which tells me
> the drive was ready.

Ok.

> Mounted ext2fs
> malloc_diag: alloc: 192 bytes (3 blocks), free: 16184 bytes (1 blocks)
> malloc_diag: alloc: 288 bytes (4 blocks), free: 16088 bytes (1 blocks)
> malloc_diag: alloc: 304 bytes (5 blocks), free: 16072 bytes (1 blocks)
> file_open: dev=hda1, path=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-486
> devopen: already open
> malloc_diag: alloc: 288 bytes (4 blocks), free: 16088 bytes (1 blocks)
> elf_load: Not a bootable ELF image
> Unsupported image format

Hm.

> Here's the grub menu.lst from a default debian 4.0 base install.

I don't like menu.lst. It would be interesting to see what happens
if you try Ron's idea.

> The guys on IRC were saying that the stock kernel should load, yet
> filo doesn't think it's valid.   Any help would be appriciated.

You can also try my IDE patch to FILO which also adds some debugging
to the ext2fs driver in FILO. Note that it seems to introduce a
problem with loading more than one file. (The kernel loads but not
the initrd.)

> I'd like to have it booting off the 5536 so I could use a compact
> flash,

Yeah. I'll have a look.

> and then I'd also like to know why filo thinks the stock kernel is
> an invalid image.   It's pointing right at the kernel, no symlinks
> or anything.

http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2007-May/021586.html

Please enable DEBUG_TIMER, DEBUG_BLOCKDEV, DEBUG_IDE, DEBUG_EXT2 and
E2DEBUG in Config and send the output to the list.

//Peter