[coreboot] trying to understand the build process of coreboot-v2

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Fri Jan 25 17:13:12 CET 2008

> From: Peter Stuge
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:13:56PM +0100, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> > I just had set the ROM_SIZE..
>
> This is a mess in v2.
>

> > But at that point i've a (maybe) stupid question:
> > What is the difference between normal/fallback/failover, and are
> > all these 3 images needed?
>
> No. failover chooses between normal or fallback. If you only want one
> image use fallback and failover. See e.g. m57sli/Config.lb.kernel
>

> > Another quite simple/stupid question is, how do i generate a
> > payload.elf with the correct kernel options by hand?
>
> Using the tool mkelfImage, but the latest version I know of does not
> support x86_64 kernels. :\
>
> Yinghai Lu sent a patch which added support, but I gave it a quick
> try without success.

This works with buildrom for several targets.  AMD Serengeti Cheetah is one
place to look.  If you configure it for LAB (Linux As Bootloader) x86_64, it
will build a kernel and an initrd, then use mkelfImage and put it all
together.

It will also set up the Config.lb file correctly to save space (fallback
only).

The caveat is that something broke for me when I upgraded to Fedora Core 6,
and it won't boot all the way.  Fedora Core 5 works fine.  Other distros?

Myles