[coreboot] trying to understand the build process of coreboot-v2

Harald Gutmann harald.gutmann at gmx.net
Fri Jan 25 17:23:50 CET 2008

Am Freitag, 25. Januar 2008 12:55:45 schrieb Peter Stuge:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:13:56PM +0100, Harald Gutmann wrote:
> > I just had set the ROM_SIZE..
>
> This is a mess in v2.
>
> > But at that point i've a (maybe) stupid question:
> > What is the difference between normal/fallback/failover, and are
> > all these 3 images needed?
>
> No. failover chooses between normal or fallback. If you only want one
> image use fallback and failover. See e.g. m57sli/Config.lb.kernel
Could someone explain that a little more in detail?

I built the normal image, but it didn't boot like expected. It seems that the
ide drives get initialised, but i don't get any response on my monitor.
I also tried to compile a LAB image, where i get as response on the monitor
just a blinking "_". On building the LAB image, i used the normal buildrom
and just modified two ROM size parameters.

> > Another quite simple/stupid question is, how do i generate a
> > payload.elf with the correct kernel options by hand?
>
> Using the tool mkelfImage, but the latest version I know of does not
> support x86_64 kernels. :\
>
> Yinghai Lu sent a patch which added support, but I gave it a quick
> try without success.
>

> //Peter
Regards,
Harald