[coreboot] patch: add Kconfig support for v3 north

Marc Jones marc.jones at amd.com
Fri Jan 25 19:21:26 CET 2008

Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 25/01/08 11:08 -0700, Marc Jones wrote:
>> Peter Stuge wrote:
>>> Why is nrv2b needed specifically for geodelx? The VSA blob? Should
>>> that not use the same compression as the payload, if the user chooses
>>> one?
>>> //Peter
>> At the time it seemed like the right way to handle the VSA binary
>> distribution.  We posted a binary blob that would just work when cat'd
>> on to a Geode platform ROM. It was a painful to do by hand...
>> With the acceptance of buildrom and the new build configuration in v3,
>> it seems as though we should change.  The user/buildtool will have to
>> handle the compression and padding to the correct size (don't need
>> padding in v3 w/lar).
> Hmm - probably the right move, but the changes in buildrom are not
> trivial for v2.  We would need to figure out what the ROM size is (by greping
> Config.lb, probably), compress the VSA, calculate the difference and
> pad.   Its not impossible, but there is lots that can go wrong if we
> are not careful.
> Jordan

We can probably get away with hard coding the pad size since the binary
won't change. It should still come out to 36K. I don't think you really
need to figure the ROM size. The config.lb for geodes will still have to
account the same way the do now.

Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer
(970) 226-9684 Office