[coreboot] PATCH: Add Spansion S25FL016A to flashrom

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Jan 27 13:50:14 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>>>  {"W29C011",     WINBOND_ID,     W_29C011,       128, 128, ...}
>>>
>>> should rather read
>>>
>>>  {"Winbond", "W29C011", 0xda, 0xc1, 128, 128, ...}
>>>

>> I like it.
>>

> Please don't change this unless you are willing to add support for all
> chips mentioned in a #define to flashchips.c. That of course includes
> testing.
> Right now flash.h is an ID database which helps greatly if you need to
> look up an unsupported ID which is already known. Unfortunately no
> search engine is able to find data sheets based on the ID, so the
> flash.h database is absolutely essential.
I don't understand. Essential for what exactly?

Heaping up a whole lot of unsupported IDs actually makes the code even
harder to understand, which is why i suggested to drop it in the first
place.

I think maintaining this list, eh, "database", in form of preprocessor
defines is a waste of time.

If we are concerned about keeping databases, let's lend some of the
design I put into /dev/bios in 1994 and put a "supported?" flag into the
array in flashchips.c. This way we can identify all kinds of chips and
give the user a hint that we did not have the opportunity to test the
chip (properly). Anticipating from flashrom -V to searching flash.h to
getting a datasheet to actually support the chip is a long way and there
are obviously many better attempts to provide such help, if we feel it
is necessary.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613