[coreboot] rename LAR to CBAR and LBTABLE to CBTABLE?

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Jan 27 13:55:36 CET 2008

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> On 27.01.2008 03:01, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>
>> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [080126 02:28]:
>>

>>> while I agree fully with renaming the project, we need to consider the
>>> point where we stop the renaming, also because some code referencing our
>>> code is outside of our control.
>>> We have LBTABLE structures and can rename them to CBTABLE. But will
>>> Linux kernel folks merge patches renaming the structs?
>>>

>> what code in the linux kernel are you particularly referring to? Linux
>> should be pretty much coreboot agnostic.
>>

> Didn't the kernel have coreboot table parsing some time in the past? I'm
> not sure about current Linux code, though.

Not that I know of.

The current linux kernel does not, I verified that.

The bootloader (payload) is preparing e820 entries to make linux see all
of memory. Well, some of them do. Open Firmware does not. Which is why
Torsten Duwe saw weeird problems when booting coreboot+openfirmware on a
machine with 4G ram. I think Linux only saw 28M or some such 8)

The discussion reminds me we have to find a way to get the coreboot
messages into dmesg, at least in v3. Any hints how to do this correctly?
can it be done for the pre-ram code now that you improved the cache as
ram stuff? that would be really really cool.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613