[coreboot] LinuxTag 2008 in Berlin, May 28-31

Patrick Georgi patrick at georgi-clan.de
Sun Jan 27 15:01:50 CET 2008

Am Sonntag, den 27.01.2008, 14:11 +0100 schrieb Patrick Georgi:
> Am Sonntag, den 27.01.2008, 05:57 -0500 schrieb Corey Osgood:
> > A bit off-topic, but this is an idea I've been toying with for a
> > little
> > while now: a web-based interface to see coreboot in action. Somebody
> > visiting the site is presented with an option, to start the "machine"
> > (most likely QEMU) with either coreboot or the factory BIOS. They can
> > then see the "machine" start up, and use busybox or bash to do some
> > basic commands, look at the coreboot log, etc. I'm not a real web
> > developer, so I have very little of an idea what it would take to do
> > this, I just think it would be cool. Comments?
> There's a java based x86 emulator, that could be used:
> http://www-jpc.physics.ox.ac.uk/
>
> But I have no idea how accurate it is in early initialization.
small report: It's missing larger parts of pmode (that's still "beta"),
and simply replacing their (bochs?) bios with my qemu-tested cbv2 image
results in errors like:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unimplemented Microcode: JUMP_FAR_O32
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unimplemented Microcode: STORE0_CR3
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unimplemented Microcode: LGDT_O32
@ 0xf536a

and

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Attempted To Construct Reserved Segment
Type

at least these errors should help filling in the missing bits if someone
is interested.

When that works, we could provide a .jar file with a demo bios image or
something like that, for instant experimentation as java applet.

Regards,
Patrick Georgi