[coreboot] i82801xx nic problems.

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Thu Jan 31 02:53:02 CET 2008

Quoting joe at smittys.pointclark.net:

> Quoting Corey Osgood <corey.osgood at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2008 9:50 AM, <joe at smittys.pointclark.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I am racking my brains with this. No matter what I do I can't seem to
>>> get the nic working. The nic is onboard the i82801DB southbridge down
>>> from the PCI bridge, so my Config.lb looks something like this:
>>>
>>> device pci 1e.0 on # PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge
>>> chip drivers/pci/onboard
>>> device pci 08.0 on end # Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE Ethernet
>>> Controller
>>> end
>>> end
>>
> lspci -t
> +-1e.0-[0000:01]----08.0
>

>>> But no matter what I try coreboot thinks it is a static device and
>>> disables it.
>>>
>>> do_pci_scan_bridge for PCI: 00:1e.0
>>> PCI: pci_scan_bus for bus 01
>>> Disabling static device: PCI: 01:08.0

Well, I think I may have figured this out???
When comparing the coreboot to original bios PCI Bridge 00:1e.0
registers, it seems if the LAN controller wants use of the PCI bus it
needs to request it. Kind of funny:-)
With coreboot register 0x82 (PCI_MAST_STS?PCI Master Status Register)
is defaulted to 0x00. The original bios has bit 6 set (0x40), which is
"The ICH4?s internal LAN controller has requested use of the PCI bus."
So if I set this bit, coreboot should find the device when scanning
the bus, correct?

I will try it out later tonight and report back.

Thanks - Joe