[coreboot] LinuxBIOS/coreboot and security

Florentin Demetrescu echelon at free.fr
Thu Jan 31 12:11:27 CET 2008

 Also keep in mind another important thing: don't federate your opponents.. (and
don't create new ones!)
 Don't forget that the first Xbox platform was cracked because people wished to
run Linux on that hardware, it was not the feat of some "warez crackers"..
 When people will think that is morally acceptable to circumvent "security
mesures" because these block their legitimate use (or perceived as this..) is
game over..
 Don't design your solution as a magical "silver bullet" making your platform
universally hacker-proof in any possible situation.
 Security is only effective when one carefully integrate it in every critical
component of the system and when all the possible use cases are evaluated. This
implies that the "security perimeter" must be very well defined and understood.
Practically, IMHO this mean that these kind of "platform security mesures" can
work only for very specific "appliances" (in other words designed for a very
specific use, eg "game console", "dvd player", etc..)

Just my 2 (euro-)cents
 Florentin