[coreboot] flashrom: probe_flash() cleanup and remove false positive unknown .. SPI chip

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Wed Jul 2 04:25:30 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 03:20:36AM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> The evolution of flashrom is somewhat funny:

Too many cooks, a little bitrot and that's what you get. :)

Anyway - optimize for the common case! That means degrading in
uncommon cases, which I think is fine.

> As long as we don't perform per-bus/address probing (where
> appropriate), there will be no real fix for readability nor
> functionality.

-frc can allow reading at any time if the chip is the only problem.

Multiple known chips will work reliably.

Multiple chips with 2nd or 3rd unknown will not work - but this is a
highly uncommon case so I do not really care.

> Stefan's cleanup queue looks very promising, though.
> Peter, can you hold this patch for a few more days until Stefan had
> time to send part 2 of his cleanup stuff?

I expect it to take much longer than a few days, and thus be after
1.0, which should go out the door any day now.

> I believe that will simplify the code greatly, while fixing the
> "unknown chip" problem permanently.

I should go post a reply in the flash bus thread. I have some
thoughts.

//Peter