[coreboot] new to coreboot

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 9 16:00:00 CEST 2008

Hi Philip,

On 09.07.2008 13:14, Philip Aston wrote:
> I have MS6178 ver 1.1, supported board, noted as not working on Linux. I can
> only get it working reliably with Knoppix although Debian Etch has worked
> intermittently. Embedded VGA... does that complicate things?

I don't have the board in question, but if it has problems running Linux
under the factory BIOS, probably something is wrong with the hardware.

> I'm an intermediate user finding detail on the readme within Coreboot
> download difficult to understand. My chip is soldered and I'll have to
> reflash in situ, not worried about that because
> 1 without linux the board is useless
> 2 might be able to retrieve original image (which I have saved) from
> bootblock.

Actually, the "boot block recovery" will not work if flashrom misbehaves
or coreboot does not work.

> Can I build the .rom on another box? Is there a way to build using a live cd
> or do I have to reinstall etch?

You can build the .rom on another box, it's even recommended to do so.

> And very important, is this too ambitious for someone who needs to ask these
> questions? Thank you.

Well, having a soldered flash is certainly increasing the risk beyond
what I'd recommend. A top hat flash override might work in case of
problems, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--