[coreboot] SeaBIOS debug output

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Fri Jul 11 20:51:12 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 07:58:35PM +0200, Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Can seabios somehow complement x86emu as a way to let certain
> problematic VBIOS images run?

If you mean run seabios under x86emu - I'm not sure.  Seabios
currently does its initialization in 32bit mode which x86emu may not
like.

If you mean using seabios to implement the option rom scan - then yes,
I think this is what Stefan suggested and Zhang Rui is working on.  If
I understand correctly, they want to load the seabios blob into ram,
have seabios do its init, run the option roms, and then jump back to
coreboot for the rest of the boot.  Presumably, coreboot would also
use seabios to boot the machine if the user wanted that.

The thing to be careful of here is making sure coreboot and seabios
don't stomp on each other.  This may not be such a big deal - seabios
doesn't currently write to any ram above 1MiB - if coreboot didn't
write to any ram below 1MiB after launching seabios then maybe it
would work.

-Kevin