[coreboot] patch: lxirq understander

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Jul 24 18:16:43 CEST 2008

ron minnich wrote:
> So I started to fix it up with names and respond to the other comments.
>
> Turns out you can't do this:
> #include <pci/pci.h>
>
> #include <device/pci_ids.h>

Why would you pull in both libpci and coreboot headers?

libpci pretty much brings its own PCI ID database.

> with our pci_ids.h because our pci_ids.h includes stuff that is not
> ids -- e.g. class types etc.
>
> So we conflict:
> In file included from lxirq.c:44:
> ../../include/device/pci_ids.h:132:1: error:
> "PCI_CLASS_CRYPT_ENTERTAINMENT" redefined
> In file included from /usr/include/pci/pci.h:13,
>                  from lxirq.c:34:
> /usr/include/pci/header.h:975:1: error: this is the location of the
> previous definition
>
> So I lost patience as I have to go to work now :-)
>
> I will try to put this on my web page somewhere.
>
> I'll drop it for now. But somebody will need this tool  in the future.
> They'll write it again. We need to have a way to get little utilities
> like this into the tree. They are pretty typical of the throw-away
> tools engineers write while doing board bringup. Thing is, they get
> written and lost because they're crude and ugly. But they are very
> useful.

We have a collection of such utilities, and they're quite nice...
mptable, pirq, inteltool, superiotool, there is even one for sc520 iirc.

Things are improving over time. Think of how flash_and_burn starting as
a shellscript calling setpci and it evolved into flashrom eventually.

I think it's awesome that you write another one of these tools...
They're an important step towards automation of coreboot ports

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613