[coreboot] Documentation for using util/vgabios with coreboot?

Ken.Fuchs at bench.com Ken.Fuchs at bench.com
Mon Jul 28 21:54:31 CEST 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:

> Actually not, testbios can hopefully initialize the graphics using
> the factory VGA BIOS.

So util/vgabios is not a VGABIOS?

If I design a board and port coreboot to it, there probably
won't be a factory VGA BIOS, unless it is open source.

Sorry, I thought coreboot's util/vgabios and NONGNU VGABios

<http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/vgabios>

or

<http://www.nongnu.org/vgabios/>

were the same for some odd reason ...

Maybe util/vgabios should be renamed to util/testvgabios
to avoid confusion.

--- MS Windows support ---

Furthermore, I need to support MS Windows on a new board,
so that will require both SeaBIOS and VGABios.  Has anyone
done this yet on bare hardware (no qemu or similar emulation),
using an open source VGABIOS as opposed to a factory VGA BIOS?

I thought coreboot supported MS Windows via ADLO/BochsBIOS
on more than one board and via SeaBIOS on at least one board.
Am I wrong about this?

Thanks,

Ken Fuchs