[coreboot] [newbie] support for GA-M57SLI-S4 and AMD Phenom (K10) possible?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 28 23:55:23 CEST 2008

On 28.07.2008 22:34, Marc Jones wrote:
> Peter Stuge wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 01:13:43PM -0600, Marc Jones wrote:
>>> There is FAM10 (K10) support in coreboot. The platform would need
>>> to be ported to the Fam10 code. I would be happy to assist anyone
>>> who would like to do the port.
>>
>> Does the Fam10 code also handle K8 or would there be one coreboot
>> target for m57sli+k8 and one for m57sli+fam10 ?
>>

> There needs to be one for each. The fam10 code has some significant
> differences.

Would it be possible to support both K8 and K10 in one image? I gather
that the code is not entirely different, so sharing some stuff may be
possible.
The big issue I see is CAR setup. I can code up a version of the CAR
code which has no ifdefs and handles both family 0Fh and family 10h.
That depends on whether there's a short code sequence not using too many
registers which can detect family 10h presence. AFAICS CPUID always
clobbers EAX,EBX,ECX,EDX, so we need to have that sequence quite early
and store the result somewhere.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--