[coreboot] SMM handling and resident coreboot

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Tue Jul 29 23:00:55 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:42:23PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> IHVs

I expect them to be completely oblivious to anything below the OS
level. "Do what the BIOS does", "It works on Windows" and so on.

> try to avoid it

Why pretend? For business interests, SMM and ACPI are strict and hard
requirements because they are currently the single way to accomplish
certain things. Anything less is just not good enough. I wouldn't
expect the industry to take interest in developing new PC boot
architecture. When we have something else that works, there may be
interest, but I think we're on our own getting there.

//Peter