[coreboot] v3 patch: fix dtc to correctly parse @x values as hex, not decimal.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Jul 30 03:32:33 CEST 2008

That proposal said:
> To make clear what those files are, we should rename them...
>
> dts -> mainboard.dts
> ide -> ide.dts
> apic -> apic.dts

I can either take your words literally ( southbridge/amd/cs5536/dts
becomes southbridge/amd/cs5536/mainboard.dts ) or I take their intent
and conclude the initial proposal was incomplete.

>> struct name autocreation is a feature I really like.
>>
> Absolutely. "That behavior" meant mentioning the struct name manually
> in the dts files.

Indeed. I'll take a look at those files in the next few months. I'd be
happy if someone could tackle this before.

>>> oh no! it's harder! we blew it!
>>>

>> I'd like to disagree. I still haven't fully understood the v2 device
>> tree, while the v3 device tree seems obvious and simple to me.
> On a code level beyound the dts they're 100% the same. Now go compare
> a mainboard Config.lb (minus the makefile stuff) to the scattered dts
> mentioning struct names for components etc etc. It is really much more
> complex than in v2. Yet, it does not have more features.
>
>> v3 has a few perceived problems and a few real problems. The problem is
>> that everybody has his own idea about which problems are real. I'm not
>> claiming that my version of the story is the absolute truth(tm)
>
> What exactly are you trying to say?

It's like flashrom. Agreeing on features and roadmap is probably more
difficult than coding stuff up.

> What is your version of the story anyways?

The v2 config files are completely unreadable. In v3, the situation is a
lot better. Maybe not optimal, but orders of magnitude better than v2.
One thing I see as a problem in both versions is how I can specify
different settings for each instance of a chip appearing multiple times
on a board. (I may be misinterpreting struct name generation...)

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/