[coreboot] some interesting quotes

ron minnich rminnich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 01:57:05 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Segher Boessenkool
<segher at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> Nothing specific to EFI here, as far as I can see.  All of this is
> true as well for traditional BIOS, Open Firmware, and even coreboot.

well, I agree with you mostly. EFI, uniquely, is capable of fetching
and loading a new copy of itself autonomously, as well as installing
it with no user intervention -- which I've seen happen on a Mac.
Scares me to death.

Most importantly, while there is the possibility of providing a
verifiable supply chain with coreboot and other open source BIOSes, no
such possibilty exitsts with EFI, as it is a proprietary operating
system. It will never be possible, barring a huge change on the part
of the EFI community, to build such an open BIOS.

ron