[coreboot] coreboot BIOSisms

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 9 19:03:46 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 11:37:40PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> I plan on hacking coreboot-v2 so that it deploys the tables to the
> top of ram instead of 0xf0000.  I then plan on having legacybios
> locate the tables (by looking at the coreboot table) and then copy
> the subset of tables that must reside in the 0xf0000 segment.
>
> For those that remember the discussion at:
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2008-May/034688.html
>
> I'm basically advocating option (c).

I still don't want coreboot to know about BIOS tables at all.

Alas, it already does, there is both PIR and ACPI.

Do we really want these BIOS tables to be created by coreboot?

If yes, why shouldn't LegacyBIOS simply be included in coreboot?

If no, how can we fix that?

I would much prefer if any and all table generation could be handled
by LegacyBIOS or maybe another, separate, payload. I think it is
important to isolate coreboot from BIOSisms, so that new, modern,
payloads don't start using BIOS tables created by coreboot because
that's what the other kids did, or because it was the only way the
information was accessible. I'd like to move away from that scenario.

Is it really the best we can do? :\

//Peter