[coreboot] coreboot BIOSisms

Marc Jones Marc.Jones at amd.com
Mon Jun 9 19:23:51 CEST 2008

Peter Stuge wrote:

> I still don't want coreboot to know about BIOS tables at all.
>
> Alas, it already does, there is both PIR and ACPI.

Because they are required by Linux.

> Do we really want these BIOS tables to be created by coreboot?

probably.

> If yes, why shouldn't LegacyBIOS simply be included in coreboot?

maybe but legacybios has a lot of things coreboot (for Linux) doesn't
need. They are required for other OS.

> If no, how can we fix that?
>

> I would much prefer if any and all table generation could be handled
> by LegacyBIOS or maybe another, separate, payload.

Then that payload has to have the knowledge of every cpu, chipset, and
motherboard configuration to extract the information. That is difficult
which is why the OS leaves it up the the BIOS. It make sense that the
tables are generated and used by the configuration code.

Marc

--
Marc Jones
Senior Firmware Engineer