[coreboot] coreboot BIOSisms

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Mon Jun 9 19:39:50 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 11:23:51AM -0600, Marc Jones wrote:
> > I still don't want coreboot to know about BIOS tables at all.
> >
> > Alas, it already does, there is both PIR and ACPI.
>
> Because they are required by Linux.

Wasn't that supposed to change though? Does anyone know what happened
with the x86 device tree?

> > Do we really want these BIOS tables to be created by coreboot?
>
> probably.
>
> > If yes, why shouldn't LegacyBIOS simply be included in coreboot?
>
> maybe but legacybios has a lot of things coreboot (for Linux) doesn't
> need. They are required for other OS.

Yep, but it is so nice to optimize them away when running Linux.

> > I would much prefer if any and all table generation could be
> > handled by LegacyBIOS or maybe another, separate, payload.
>
> Then that payload has to have the knowledge of every cpu, chipset,
> and motherboard configuration to extract the information. That is
> difficult which is why the OS leaves it up the the BIOS. It make
> sense that the tables are generated and used by the configuration
> code.

We already have some if not all of this information in coreboot.
I think the ideal would be to allow payloads to use all that
information in a handy way, rather than only through BIOS tables.

Seems this is our hot potato.

//Peter