[coreboot] flashrom image identification problem/coreboot signature RFC

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Mon Jun 16 18:57:00 CEST 2008

On 14.06.2008 21:53, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Peter Stuge wrote:
>>> Yes. A LAR file with that information in the image.
>> Ah of course - yes for v3 that's perfect.
>> What about v2?
> I suggest using the same mechanism, wrapping the information in a lar
> header, making it a single file lar. The lar format can handle this, and
> we don't have to worry for different versions.

How about a generic bootblock/VPD signature instead? Having a short
signature in the top 256 bytes or so will allow recognition of complete
and incomplete (only partly mapped) coreboot images easily.

Proposal for signature formats:

4 bytes:
"CB20" for v2.0 and "CB30" for v3.0

8 bytes (option 1):
"CB203300" for v2.0, rev 3300

8 bytes (option 2):

16 bytes:
"coreboot20r3300 " for v2.0, r3300 (note the space at the end for
5-digit svn revisions)