[coreboot] What are the best motherboards/systems out there foropen-source software?

Cristi Magherusan cristi.magherusan at net.utcluj.ro
Mon Jun 23 16:58:03 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 13:56 +0100, Tiago Marques wrote:
> I've seen my fair share of open-source adoption, or not. As such,
> seeing the recent developments with open-source drivers in the Intel
> camp, I can say they are pretty happy with the result, everyone is.

>From my experience, Intel only cares about the big OEM companies.
When they do give something to the community they usually give
poorly-written sourcecode that only they can further maintain instead
of proper documentation. The best example are the the ipw3945/iwlwifi
drivers for their wireless adapters.
http://kerneltrap.org/node/6650
http://www.openbsd.org/papers/brhard2007

> Has it already been attempted to contact chipset manufacturers to
> release information without NDA, much like what AMD has already done
> with graphics cards?

Yes it was, and they always give evasive answers about Intelectual
Property and external regulations that they must follow in order to
assure the robustness or security of their products. Pure bull$%!#.

> I say this because, if they realize that by allowing open-source
> replacements for the BIOS would allow for new industry players to have
> a lower cost of entry to the motherboard manufacturing. This, I see,
> would drive chipset sales up, which is good for them IMHO. Emerging
> markets like Chine, which will start doing it anyway, would benefit,
> like the manufacturer would also.

AMD and VIA are doing this, among others to reduce costs. Intel is just
too big for this small starting players.

> This is something I think Coreboot should be attempting to "lobby", so
> NDAs could become a thing of the past.
>
> Anyone has any idea of how much are the costs for using Pheonix or AMI's BIOS?

A few dollars per unit, i guess. I think their strong point is that they
offer support for them and make them work on new board models.

Cristi

--
Cristi Magherusan,
Universitatea Tehnica din Cluj - Napoca