[coreboot] [RFC] Coreboot Ports in Progress

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 22:07:46 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:
> Paul Menzel wrote:
>> Problem: People do not know who is working on porting what board.
>>
>> Solution from Corey:
>>
>> Under the premise that every developer would do his development in that
>> "development" repository (I guess in his own branch) or would commit his
>> effort at the end of the day, people could track what they are working
>> on. So everybody would be up to date what ports are being worked on.

No, I was saying a single dev branch, strictly for new ports. In
theory, it would allow people to see what others are working on,
comments should let them know what needs to be done, and they could
work together without passing patches against patches or 50MB trees
back and forth. Also, incomplete ports could stick around without
cluttering the main tree, so we don't lose a half-finished port that
some dev got irritated with, or some company decided they didn't want.

> we're running several internal coreboot repositories here at
> coresystems, but creating yet another open repository would not mean we
> can easily commit to those, as a lot of that code has to go through
> legal clearance first before we can make it publically available. I
> guess that issue applies for a lot of (all?) people working on modern
> (non-amd) chipsets these days

True, but most amateur devs are working off public docs from Intel or,
if they can get their hands on them, Via, and might not have NDA
restrictions (but with that, they also have less info :( ).

-Corey