[coreboot] USB debug cables and emulation

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Fri Jun 27 16:28:07 CEST 2008

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:54:04 -0500, bari <bari at onelabs.com> wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not officially back yet, but here's a question I don't want to
> forget:
>> Are there any easily available USB debug cables? The NET20DC is very
>> difficult to get in Europe.
>> Can I emulate such a cable with the Geode USB target mode?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Carl-Daniel
>>

> We discussed this on the list a couple of years ago. These may be
> options, maybe not:
>
> USB 2.0 Host-to-Host Cable
> http://www.pccasegear.com/prod3972.htm
>
> The USB 2.0 LINK & NETWORK CABLE
> http://www.linkusb.com/
>
> USB 2.0 Host-to-Host Cable
> http://www.datapro.net/products/UL2.html
>
> PCLinq2 (PL-2501) Hi-Speed USB Bridge Cable
> http://www.usbfiletransfer.com/

Well, as some of you may know I am a bit of a hardware hacker. That's what
brought me to coreboot in the first place. As soon as my budget will allow
it I am going to get a NET20DC, pop open the little box, and exploit the
hardware. I'll bet anyone all the electrical components inside that little
box can be purchased for less than 20 dollars. I'm also going to get one of
the Host-to-Host Cables mentioned above (you can find them on eBay for less
than 10 dollars) and see how hard it would be to convert one. Once I start
this little side project, is it ok to setup a wiki page on coreboot, or
could there be liability issues? Otherwise I will just post a discrete page
on my site.

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org