[coreboot] VGA and Asus a8v-e_se

Jonathan Rogers jonathanrrogers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 05:06:53 CET 2008

Rudolf Marek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To fix the powernow add following after following line into dsdt.asl
>
> Processor (\_PR.CPU1, 0x01, 0x000000, 0x00) {}
>
>    Scope (\_PR.CPU0)
>     {
>         Name (_PCT, Package (0x02)
>         {
>             ResourceTemplate ()
>             {
>                 Register (FFixedHW,
>                     0x00,               // Bit Width
>                     0x00,               // Bit Offset
>                     0x0000000000000000, // Address
>                     ,)
>             },
>
>             ResourceTemplate ()
>             {
>                 Register (FFixedHW,
>                     0x00,               // Bit Width
>                     0x00,               // Bit Offset
>                     0x0000000000000000, // Address
>                     ,)
>             }
>         })
>         Name (_PSS, Package (0x04)
>         {
>             Package (0x06)
>             {
>                 0x00000898,
>                 0x00014D34,
>                 0x00000064,
>                 0x00000009,
>                 0xE020298E,
>                 0x0000018E
>             },
>
>             Package (0x06)
>             {
>                 0x000007D0,
>                 0x00014438,
>                 0x00000064,
>                 0x00000009,
>                 0xE0202A0C,
>                 0x0000020C
>             },
>
>             Package (0x06)
>             {
>                 0x00000708,
>                 0x00011300,
>                 0x00000064,
>                 0x00000009,
>                 0xE0202A8A,
>                 0x0000028A
>             },
>
>             Package (0x06)
>             {
>                 0x000003E8,
>                 0x00008D04,
>                 0x00000064,
>                 0x00000009,
>                 0xE0202C82,
>                 0x00000482
>             }
>         })
>         Name (_PPC, 0x00)
>     }
>
> Then just recompile Coreboot. I'm using the powernowd and it does work.
>

> If possible could you send me the lspci -xxx when the coreboot is
> running too? You may also try
> /LinuxBIOSv2/src/southbridge/via/k8t890/k8t890_pcie.c to edit the init
> function:
> static void peg_init(struct device *dev)
>
> I think you can put return at the beginning of the function. There is a
> chance that it will work without anything else. I think problem is in
> card reset.

> [...]

Your instructions about both Powernow! and VGA BIOS were right on. I now
have my Ubuntu system running with both video and frequency scaling
after booting from coreboot. I have attached the output from "sudo lspci
- -vvvxxx" after making the above changes and booting coreboot.

All of the regular PCI devices seem to be on bus 00, while the onboard
PCIe network interface is on bus 05. The PCIe x16 card is on bus 02.
Before I bypassed the peg_init function, all of the PCI devices except
the Nvidia PCIe x16 video card seemed to work. When I ran lspci, it made
no mention of any device on bus 02 or any vga or nvidia device; it did
however see the network interface on bus 05. I neglected to save that
output, but I can un-bypass peg_init and save the lspci output if it
will be helpful.

BTW, how are flash chip sizes detected? All of the images I've generated
using coreboot or saved using flashrom on this board are 512KiB, but the
manual indicates that it has 4MiB of flash. Is the manual lying? I'm
curious because I'm wondering if it's possible to use a Linux payload
with this board, but I realize that Filo or etherboot is probably
sufficient as far as minimizing boot time. Thank you very much for your
insight and tolerance of my limited knowledge.

Jonathan Rogers