[coreboot] Problems with VIA EPIA-ME6000

Jacek Chruscik mercury at wirebros.com
Thu Mar 6 07:12:54 CET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:42 +0100, Klaus Stammermann wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 4. März 2008 12:50 schrieb Uwe Hermann:
> > On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 08:31:23AM +0100, Klaus Stammermann wrote:
> > > Am Montag, 3. März 2008 21:33 schrieben Sie:

> > > Yes, I use following startup parameters:
> > > "hda1:/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"
> >
> > And you also use 'USE_GRUB = 0'? Otherwise FILO will try to read your
> > menu.lst file from GRUB and ignore the above line.
> >
> > > I did not use that optionroms. But how can I use this optionrom? Where do
> > > I have to put it in my image?
> >
> > I think at the beginning (but someone please correct me if I'm wrong), i.e.
> >
> > cat vga.rom coreboot.com > coreboot_full.rom
> >
> > But you need to tweak the config files too in order to make the
> > coreboot.rom smaller (so there's place for vga.rom).
> >

> I get some problem at making coreboot.rom smaller. Normal and fallback get
> 128kb before. I tried two different possibilities to get space for it, but
> both failed.
>
> I need 57344b. But taking 57344/2 out of both raises error "XIP_ROM_BASE is
> not multiple of XIP_ROM_SIZE". And reducing one of them about 57344b make
> breaks because of overleaping sections.
>
> Is there any overview how to use all these option in Config.lb? I think I
> don't understand the structur of all these options and their results.
I think you don't really need "normal" image at all.
I was able to compile just "fallback" image (ROM_IMAGE_SIZE 64kB)
with filo payload (~48kB), and tried to save 57344 bytes for vga bios.
This makes ROM_SIZE=204800 , probably hou have to set up FALLBACK_SIZE
to same value, otherwise the build will end up being 131072 (I can't
understand why)
Unfortunately, this does not work, I mean, I compiled rom image of given
size, prepended vga bios, and it gave me exactly 256kB of the image.
The problem is that coreboot boots, then runs vgabios (my screen
initializes), but then fails on filo (cannot load ELF image).
It works fine without vgabios though.
I think there might be some bug in scripts, because buildtarget shows
correct ROM_SIZE, but the build is 128kB if I don't set-up
FALLBACK_SIZE.

good luck