[coreboot] libplayload and coreinfo

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Mar 7 00:45:10 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 03:45:35PM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> I am happy to release the first proof of concept for libpayload:
>
> http://coreboot.org/~jcrouse/libpayload_0.1.tar.gz

Great stuff, thanks!

> This is a conglomeration of code from three projects - the
> payload initialization code from FILO, superb curses code from
> our good friend Uwe Hermann, and various libc and driver bits
> from coreboot-v3.  I combined them together into a library,
> mixed kconfig into the mix and baked at 300F for 2 hours.  This is
> proof of concept code for the most part, and I wouldn't go off
> and put this in your airplane autopilot quite yet, but its a good
> start.
>
> And to celebrate the good start, how about something practical to
> go with it?  Here is something I call coreinfo:
>
> http://coreboot.org/~jcrouse/coreinfo_0.1.tar.gz

I think Jordan tested this on SimNow, but I'm happy to confirm that
it runs very nicely on real hardware, in my case on the ASUS A8V-E Deluxe.

FYI: We (or rather: mostly Jordan) are working on a fixed-up libpayload
version which will be BSD-licensed, so commercial users can benefit too.

For that to work, I'm hereby relicensing all my code which is part of
libpayload (tinycurses mostly) under the 3-clause BSD license. The plan
is that the same will happen with code written by Jordan, and the rest
of the currently non-BSD code which is not authored by us will be
shamelessly replaced by code stolen from FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD
and/or rewritten by us from scratch.

The goal is to have a small, fully-BSD libpayload soon, with each file
having a clear license header. This should then probably go into svn, maybe
under a new 'payloads' directory or so (where other libpayload-based
payloads will also live, e.g. coreinfo, lbmenu, etc).

Also, I'll rework my (long-overdue) GSoC project from last year (lbmenu)
to use libpayload after that is done, and beat it with a stick until it
becomes reasonably suited for real-life usage.

Uwe.