[coreboot] flashrom issues found??

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Thu Mar 13 02:04:50 CET 2008

Quoting Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net>:

> On 13.03.2008 01:36, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>>> As I wrote in my last mail: "erase_sector_39sf020() is the erase routine
>>> you need to use in a loop." It is the (mostly) correct routine to use.
>>> Simply call it for every block to be erased. There is an equivalent
>>> routine for the 20sf040.
>>>
>>> However, if you want instant gratification, replace erase_jedec() with
>>> erase_lhf00l04() or erase_82802ab(). Those two functions are even closer
>>> to the datasheet recommended values. In fact, with them everything
>>> should work out of the box, including sector protection.
>>>

>> Carl-Daniel, I don't just want to fix this for "instant
>> gratification". I needs to be a perminant solution. I have alot of
>> people waiting to beta-test the RCA RM4100 coreboot bios and work on
>> the tv-out, but we need to get flashrom working for a fallback/updates
>> first. I can test it with the "instant gratification" method but how
>> to incorperate this into jedec.c so it doesn't interfear with other
>> chips that use jedec.c???
>>

> Heh. My wording was a little bit on the flowery side. Please test
> whether the "instant gratification" variant works, if it does, I'll take
> care to get it into a mergeable shape.
>
> Please note that this will not fix writing, I'm just trying to get erase
> working and hope you can write to the (socketed?) chip with another
> tool. If the chip is not socketed, you may want to delay testing.

Of course it is socketed, I did it myself.
http://www.coreboot.org/Image:Rca_rm4100_mods.jpg
The board does not come socketed though. I have been using
uniflash/hotflash to program the bios so far. But that is not really
an option for the beta-testers so we need to get flashrom working.
When I removed the
// dumb check if erase was successful
part from write_jedec and tried it seemed to work ok. Thanks for your
help Carl-Daniel.

Thanks - Joe