[coreboot] filo booting cd problem

joe at smittys.pointclark.net joe at smittys.pointclark.net
Wed Mar 26 03:23:29 CET 2008

Quoting Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de>:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:10:25PM -0400, joe at smittys.pointclark.net wrote:
>> Quoting Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>:

>> > Please! http://www.coreboot.org/FILO is very old and does not reflect
>> > all details and options of FILO these days.
>> >

>> Updated. How does it look?
>
> Thanks! The CDROM part looks ok, but I'm not sure what you mean with the
> FILO/GRUB example. What do you mean with "mixture of GRUB and FILO
> commands"?
>
> If you use "USE_GRUB=1" then shouldn't this stanza in your menu.lst work?

Yes, but you don't have a menu.lst until you install linux, right?
Just an empty hard drive. The wiki part is just to get the Linux
install up and working.
At this point filo has already been built, installed, and pointing to
menu.lst. But it is not going to find it when it is not there, and the
drive has not even been partitioned and formatted. Right?

> And if you use "USE_GRUB=0" shouldn't this line work in FILO's "Config" file?
>
> AUTOBOOT_FILE = "hdc:/GEEXBOX/boot/vmlinuz
> initrd=/GEEXBOX/boot/initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 rw init=linuxrc
> boot=cdrom installator"

Yup, if you wanted to boot to the installation program and re-install
Linux every time you turn on the computer "boot=cdrom installator" :-)

Just kidding...

Thanks - Joe