[coreboot] recent mainboard with coreboot support and certain requirements

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sat Mar 29 20:08:23 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 02:34:38PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Of course I read [1]. It looks like I have to make a decision between
> onboard graphic and firewire – but 2. has higher priority (or is my
> assumption regarding power consumption wrong).

Depends a lot on which graphics card you want to use.

Here's a quick test I just did on my ASUS A8V-E Deluxe, with setting the
CPU frequency scaling support in Linux to "powersave" and "performance"
(all tests done with the proprietary BIOS):

No graphics card, performance: 61.6 W
No graphics card, powersave:   55.2 W

Old PCI VGA graphics card, performance: 64.8 W
Old PCI VGA graphics card, powersave:   58.6 W

Cheapo PCI-E graphics card, performance: 74.3 W
Cheapo PCI-E graphics card, powersave:   67.8 W

Here's the lspci for the cards:

00:0c.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP (rev 5c)

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]

There are certainly a lot more power-consuming graphics adapters
out there, this is the cheapest PCI-E one I could get (I couldn't care
less about 3D performance).

HTH, Uwe.