[coreboot] ADLO for buildrom

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu May 1 17:23:54 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:53:43PM -0400, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 01:58:50AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> > Myles Watson wrote:
> >
> > > Legacybios is the Bochs BIOS ported to compile on gcc instead of with the
> > > dev86 tools.  Kevin's intent (I'm paraphrasing) was to make it easy to
> > > update the BIOS so that more developers would be able to fix/improve it.  He

What's the long-term plan? Will legacybios replace the current BOCHS
BIOS in bochs also?

> > > hoped that the ability to boot operating systems with BIOS callbacks would
> > > make Coreboot more popular as well.

Definately!

> Thanks Myles, that is a good summary.

> > Is it tested and reliable in depth anywhere close to Qemu/Bochs BIOS? Or
> > are we exchanging a fragile piece of code with a fragile and untested one?
>
> What I have tested: booting linux, freedos, netbsd from floppy, cdrom,
> and hard drives from qemu.  I have reports of Windows XP working as
> well.

Testing should not be a problem, I think we can test lots of stuff in
QEMU soonish. The really interesting issues will pop up when testing on
actual hardware, though. I'll do that over the next few days with
various payloads / OSes.

> I'm working on going through all the external hardware dependencies
> that bochs bios/legacybios impose - I plan to send an email when I
> have the list completed.

Great, thanks!

Let us know if you need more info or some testing on coreboot-enabled
hardware, many developers here may be able to help.

Uwe.