[coreboot] ICH7 SPI support for flashrom

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu May 1 22:00:50 CEST 2008

Hi Luca,

On 30.04.2008 10:17, Luca Burelli wrote:
> Hello list,
> 	I have tried flashrom on an ICH7-based board with a SPI Flash
> connected. On this kind of platform, after recognizing the ICH7 SPI
> interface, it seems like it's still using FWH commands to probe the
> Flash device.

Yes, that's expected because ICH7 also supports parallel flash.

> 	From the current SVN logs, it looks like this is a work in progress,
> and that "hailfinger" was the most active on this topic, but the last
> commit was around a month ago. Is someone still working on this? What is
> the current status of this support?

I'm currently very busy with my diploma thesis. There is some work to
add ICH9 SPI support to flashrom and depending on which of the two SPI
interfaces in ICH9 is implemented, adding support for ICH7 is either
easy or a complete new "driver". If you understand SPI well and take a
look at the existing IT8716F SPI driver, you should be a able to write a
ICH7 SPI driver in a week of development. The public ICH7 flash docs are
pretty good, at least compared to what other vendors have. Then again,
there are many things you have to guess while writing the driver because
the docs are not explaining every detail.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel