[coreboot] [Fwd: Re: Contact Intel]

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri May 9 13:49:16 CEST 2008

On 09.05.2008 13:13, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>     Come on Richard, enough is enough. No one is talking about racism here.
>
> No?  It definitely looks that way.  Here is what Reinauer wrote:
>
>     >> that very graphics chip vendor, in a half-reflected way, similar to those
>     >> my ancestor countrymen suggested not to buy from certain groups of
>     >> people.
>
> As far as I can tell, that is a thinly veiled reference to racism, and
> it asserts that boycotting a company is equivalent to racism.

You're missing a point here because you don't know German history well
enough (Stefan and I are from Germany). Germany saw campaigns where
people suggested not to buy from groupsof peopley with whom they
disagreed politically. NO racism involved AT ALL. Granted, that's one of
the lesser known aspects of German history.

> If I misunderstood, that's not my fault.  The statement was written to
> be unclear.  If Reinauer intended some other meaning, he should state
> it clearly, and then we can set aside any misinterpretations.

It's really much less ambiguous once you know the background. Besides
that, there were people besides you who ran around and suggested not to
buy grapics cards/chipsets from ATI/Nvidia/Intel/etc. Most companies had
less than stellar behaviour in their past, but I know of no example
where trying to shame a company into doing something beneficial to free
software worked. It's either polite requests and workign behind the
scenes, together with praising their competitors, or (if there are any
GPL violations) suing them into compliance, a thing that worked
remarkably well in the past here in Germany (see the injunction granted
and upheld against Skype).

Regards,
Carl-Daniel