[coreboot] Simnow & payloads (Was: something else)

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri May 9 17:13:58 CEST 2008

On 09/05/08 08:32 -0400, Marc Karasek wrote:
> All,
>
> To help move us forward.
>
> Some of you know that I am looking at coreboot as the *first choice* for
> a project I am working on here at Sun.  There are still a lot of details
> to be worked out,  but the more information I gather, the better things
> are looking.  What I need to do is get a stable environment up and
> running on SimNOW.  The GPLing of the AGESA code and how this all fits
> into Coreboot is also a major item.
>
> I am working on the SimNOW issue, trying to get LAB working first, but
> would need to show multiple (LAB,  gPXE, etc.) running on SimNOW.  This
> would greatly help my case within Sun.  The target for this is to be
> able to boot over the network/fabric.  Local storage/boot media needs to
> be limited to flash.

I am here to help.  As a quick census, here is where the buildrom payloads
stand with regard to SimNow:

LAB -> You are working on this right now
etherboot -> Unknown.  Embaressingly, I have never gotten network to work
             on SimNow ... :(
filo -> Needs a minor workaround, but works
ofw -> unknown
openbios -> unknown
memtest -> works
kernel -> works
coreinfo -> works
tint -> works
grub2 - > unknown

I'm beginning to think that we should post ROMs for SimNow + these payloads
on the coreboot website (like we do with Qemu), so that people can play with
them.  Would that be of interest to anybody?

Jordan