[coreboot] Simnow & payloads (Was: something else)

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Sat May 10 00:53:34 CEST 2008

On 09/05/08 15:38 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Myles Watson <mylesgw at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When buildrom just works, this isn't necessary is it?
> >
> The GNU toolchain will never cease making our life exciting. A set of
> 'known good' binaries can help you diagnose the inevitable problems

Are you volunteering to be our buildmeister?  Here is the job description:

* Write and maintain the toolchain targets - this involves downloading and
building binutils and gcc (please see buildroot or OpenEmebedded for
examples of how complex this can be).

* Write and maintain a libc target - either uclibc or glibc, uclibc is
easier, but if you choose uclibc then you may be responsible for fixing
payloads that might not know how to work with uclibc.

* Make sure all the buildrom code is aware of the toolchain, and work around
the inevitable library issues.

* Don't forget that we need to  be able to support both 32 and 64 bit

* Be ready at all times to update the toolchain to support the kernel when
it inevitably decides to drop an old version of the compiler.

* Answer all the complaints when the buildrom process goes from a few
minutes to 30 minutes just  to build a "known good" toolchain.

Or, alternatively - we can just skip the whole thing and figure out why
we are so darn toolchain specific.  And if it isn't us, then we yell at
the responsible parties.  I don't see a single line of code in our
entire repository that says "We need GCC foo to work".

Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.