[coreboot] [Fwd: Re: Contact Intel]

Corey Osgood corey.osgood at gmail.com
Sun May 11 06:39:37 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Richard M Stallman <rms at gnu.org> wrote:

>    My suggestion is that we try to work with these guys, and find the right
>    people inside the vendors and convince them that helping coreboot can
>    only be a corporate advantage for them. I _know_ there is quite a
>    reasonable number of such people in any of the corporations we're
>    facing, including both Intel and NVidia.
>
> I have nothing against that approach.  In fact, that is what I would
> try first in any given case.
>
> However, since InVidious has gone for years without listening to us,
> maybe a protest by one of is what is required to make them pay attention
> to the other.

I'm sorry Richard, I've always had the greatest respect for you, but I have
to strongly disagree. I imagine Nvidia has probably already done a
cost-benefit analysis, and determined that it's not worth it for them to
participate on a larger level then they already have (who got yhlu to do
mcp55, was it nvidia or tyan?). As more companies get onboard, that
sentiment may change. I can't see a protest possibly helping the situation.
Would you prick a doctor with a pin until he gave you a complimentary open
heart surgery? Perhaps not the best analogy, but it's been a long day. What
I'm trying to say is, if we want these companies to get onboard, we have to
be able to offer them some sort of benefit for doing so. v3 is, IMO, getting
there.

-Corey