[coreboot] r3304 - in trunk/util: . inteltool

Joseph Smith joe at settoplinux.org
Wed May 14 04:25:14 CEST 2008

On Wed, 14 May 2008 04:06:55 +0200, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de>
wrote:
> Joseph Smith wrote:
>> The research that I have done for i82801xx(I'm sure Corey & Uwe can back
> me
>> on this) is that most of the register settings for ICH -> ICH5 are the
> same
>> and ICH6 -> ICH9 are a little bit different. inteltool may get a little
>> more complicated now that you have the northbridge involved also. I am
>> pretty sure the nothbridge registers very dramaticly from chip to chip.
>> But, I will give it a shot, and at least get a few more chips added :-)
>>
>  From what I could see the older ICHs have PMBASE and GPIOs but no RCBA
> for example. This should be fairly easy to handle. It might be safe to
> add the PCI IDs from the i82801xx_lpc.c driver. For the in-firmware part
> this tends to look different for different steppings of the same chip,
> so we need to be careful there. The dumping utility is quite simple as
> it doesn't need to know about chipset revision errata.
>
> As long as you don't add the northbridge to the dumping functions, it
> will bail out with a message like "this is not supported (yet) on your
> northbridge".

i82801xx_lpc.c is a perfect example. In that one we decided to say if the
PCI ID is lower than ICH5 than do this....
And if it is equal to or greater than ICH6 than do this....
This is what I did for gpio_dump.
I think it is a great approach for seperating various differences for
inteltool. What do you think?

Joseph Smith
Set-Top-Linux
www.settoplinux.org