[coreboot] SELF

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri May 16 02:00:26 CEST 2008

On 16/05/08 01:40 +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 05:19:14PM -0600, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > PAYLOAD_PARAM(name,"coreinfo");
> > PAYLOAD_PARAM(listname,"System Information");
> > PAYLOAD_PARAM(desc,"Display information about the system");
> >
> > These will be expanded out as
> >
> > static const char _pstruct[_pinfo_name] = "name=coreinfo";
> > static const char _pstruct[_pinfo_listname] = "listname=System Information";
> > static const char _pstruct[_pinfo_desc] = "desc=Display information about the
> > system";
> I like it!
> Does bayou show the name? I would prefer that over the listname.
> Or maybe both.

Its a good discussion to have.  One one hand, its nice to have 'coreinfo'
in the list, but on the other hand, a newbie would probably prefer a menu
that said:

Look at system information
Boot a kernel

So its a fine line between smaller code, better descriptions, and not biting
the newbies.  But this is part of the reason why the NAME segment didn't work
- clearly there are levels of information that the payload needs to
provide between the binary name and the overly verbose description.

Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.