[coreboot] [patch] Cleanups in Makefile for flashrom and superiotool

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun May 18 14:47:00 CEST 2008

Hi Peter,

On 18.05.2008 11:40, Peter Lemenkov wrote:
> Hello All!
> In order to simplify the mainteinance of packages for these two
> utilities in Fedora/RHEL we need to be able to redefine several
> makefile variables such as CFLAGS and PREFIX. There are two ways to do
> so:

I can understand setting PREFIX, but the reason why you need to redefine
CFLAGS is a mystery to me.

> * first (ugly and a bit annoying) is to patch Makefile each time it
> changes by mainstream developers.
> * second - we may patch  Makefile one time to allow conditional
> assignments for these variables and submit it to upstream (as I'm
> doing right now).

Sorry, parts of both Makefile patches are obviously wrong and even
actively harmful, so the patch set is NACKed for now.

> Conditional assignment means that instead of defininv variables in the
> folowing way:
> PREFIX  = /usr/local
> we must define it as following:
> PREFIX  ?= /usr/local
> That means "if prefix was not defined somethere earlier we assign it
> to /usr/local".

> Another one issue is simplification of "install" section in Makefile.
> Installation preserves timestamps, creates necessary directories and
> ensures that man-page will not have the executable permission.

Will the modified install section work with a non-FSF install program as
well, i.e. is it truly cross-platform?