[coreboot] Enabling 4MB window in LPC adressing space

Mart Raudsepp mart.raudsepp at artecdesign.ee
Mon May 26 10:02:54 CEST 2008

Ühel kenal päeval, L, 2008-05-24 kell 16:10, kirjutas llandre:

> >> However it does not work:
> >> a) white LED on dongle is still off
> >
> > See http://coreboot.org/viewvc?view=rev&root=coreboot-v3&revision=660
> > and do it in a similar place
> Ok, thank you for your suggestion. I'll try it.

This particular spot enables 4MB mode in mainboard stage1, which I'd
think would be early enough, as it's right after the enabling of serial
output (and the 4MB mode LED should be lighting up). Then again, I'd
think that your previous spot should have been early enough as well, so
not sure what the issue is.

> >> b) coreboot prints:
> >>
> >> Before VSA:
> >> do_vsmbios
> >> buf ilen 1011820 olen949065
> >> buf 00060000 *buf 255 buf[256k] 255
> >> buf[0x20] signature is ff:ff:ff:ff
> >> do_vsmbios: no vsainit.bin signature, skipping!
> >> After VSA:
> >> Graphics init...
> >> VRC_VG value: 0xffff
> >> Finding PCI configuration type.
> >> PCI: Sanity check failed
> >> pci_check_direct failed
> >
> > I guess this isn't related to the dongle and it's 4MB mode, as that's
> > just really useful post-BIOS at payload time, unless you are trying to
> > fit the ROM into more than 1MB.
> > But at a glance it seems like you don't have the VSA blob included in
> > flash? Is this coreboot-v2 or coreboot-v3?
> coreboot is v2
> I suspect VSA blob is there but coreboot can't find it because it is
> stored where processor can't read because 4MB mode has not been enabled.
> Please note that ROM_SIZE in Config.lb has been changed like this:
>
> option ROM_SIZE=4*1024*1024-36*1024
>
> Is this correct?

Two questions about this:

1) Why do you need a 4MB ROM? Do you have linux as a payload or what?

2) Don't you have VGA ROM added to the ROM? Your ROM_SIZE seems to
indicate there is no room for that, and the log seems to indicate it's
trying to do graphics init, which my ignorancy makes me now believe it's
trying to init the VGA ROM and doesn't find it. Maybe you don't have VGA
ROM included, but using a VSA that does the VGA init stuff which might
need a VGA ROM to pass? I'm not sure about these specifics, but I do
have to use a different VSA on coreboot-v2 and coreboot-v3, with my v2
code having a VGA ROM too, and v3 not - this might very well be just
codebase and coreboot VSA init differences, but could also be related to
VGA - hopefully someone who knows will chime in, I've been wondering
about the differences in the VSA versions for a while.

Regards,
Mart Raudsepp
Artec Design LLC