[coreboot] LinuxTag 2008 Status

Jordan Crouse jordan.crouse at amd.com
Fri May 30 22:44:41 CEST 2008

On 29/05/08 14:58 -0700, ron minnich wrote:
> Wow, wonderful job to all at LInuxTag! Thanks to you all!
> I just ran the bayou demo and it is really impressive. I wonder if
> there is anything else like it? It's really neat.

Thanks.  There is still much to be done, but I think this is a pretty
good start.. :) To that end, let me solicit the help of the community to
think about the next step.

As a group we have identified two main behaviors for the chooser:

 * An interactive menu
 * Chaining (running one payload after another in the fashion of a
 traditional BIOS)

But when you look closer, the number of possible modes explodes.  As an

 - You may want to add a timeout to the menu, so that if somebody doesn't
 press the hotkey, a default payload is chosen.
 - When chaining, some payloads will be opt in (press F1 for setup), some
 will be opt out (press F2 to skip), and others will always run
 - Uwe expressed a desire to select a chain from the menu

Everything is further complicated by the fact that we can add a new payload
to the LAR at any time, which makes it very difficult to specific the
configuration at bayou compile time.

So, this is a very long and complex way of saying that we need a simple
yet clever way to configure bayou that takes into account all of the
above.  Any ideas?

Jordan Crouse
Systems Software Development Engineer
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.