[coreboot] PCI domains

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 23:13:26 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:44 PM, yhlu <yinghailu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:52 AM, ron minnich <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:46 AM, yhlu <yinghailu at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > one HP's AMD based workstation (like tyan s2895) has that ... one ht
>> chain
>> > ==> one pci domain.
>> > you could enable that in BIOS setup. (HP's own BIOS)
>>

>> Is there any benefit to it?
>

> more than 255 pci buses. think about if you have 32 ht chains...

Sorry to be dense, but how do you have more than 4 HT chains?  Aren't there
are only 8 nodes allowed in a system (3 links per node)?

If you took out the middle links in an 8-way design I guess you could have 8
HT chains.

And I guess if you made it into a chain you could have 10.

I'm obviously missing something, because it seems silly.

> amd Family 10h cpu could support 16 domains ( 4 bits for domain...)
>
> YH

Could you point me to a section of a BKDG?  I found something about
protection domains, but it looked like it was only for DMA.

I don't see how our current PCI functions could use domains.

Thanks,
Myles