[coreboot] new board: LiPPERT Cool SpaceRunner-LX

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Nov 4 01:44:15 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 09:01:49AM -0700, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> > However, I happened to notice that you also deleted all "Based on ..."
> > lines and I'm a little bit unhappy about this. As I said in my last
> > mail, I'd have liked to pay credit to the code that served me as
> > example. ... Well, at least the SpaceRunner-LX patch is in now. ...
>
> I would actually prefer the "based on" syntax rather then retaining
> the copyright notice, if you ask me.  If you are just copying the same
> API calls that all other motherboards use, then there is hardly anything
> to copyright in the first place.

Full ACK.

The only question here is whether this is the case for the
cache_as_ram_auto.c file or not, but I'll leave that to you guys to judge.

> Now, if there are some chunks of
> unmodified code that are unique to the db800 code (such as a local function)
> then thats a different story, but if you are just copying what everybody

Yep.

> else has done, retaining the copyright notice is silly and deleting the
> "Based on" lines is double silly.

I don't agree here (obviously). If we had added a "based on" line, every
time someone cloned some other board in v2, we'd have files like this
by now:

/*
 * Based on the foo/bar target from vendor X.
 * Based on the foo/baz target from vendor Y.
 * Based on the foo/xxx target from vendor Z.
 * Based on the foo/yyy target from vendor A.
 * Based on the foo/zzz target from vendor B.
 * ...
 */

I'm _sure_ we can find code in v2 that has gone through more than 8 or 9
copy-paste iterations. Keeping adding "based on" lines just doesn't make
much sense IMHO.

Either way, this is not important enough to fuel a lenghty discussion,
so here are two patches to fix it in either way, feel free to choose and
apply one of them, whichever works better.

Cheers, Uwe.