[coreboot] r983 - in coreboot-v3: device include/device

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Thu Nov 6 21:50:56 CET 2008

On 06.11.2008 17:16, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> Vincent Legoll wrote:
>
>> Isn't all that kind of things doable via function pointers and link-time dead
>> code elimination ? That would achieve the no ifdeffery goal, and may be
>> cleaner code...
>>
> Link time optimization would suggest we look into compiling with LLVM
> instead of gcc.
>
> Has anyone tried this, yet?

I tested LLVM and the qemu target boots fine. However, the generated
code is ~30% bigger than gcc 4.2.1. According to some LLVM people, this
is due to the fact that nobody is working on making the generated code
small. Most people just want speed and don't care for code size.

And if we compile with -fwhole-program, gcc sizes go down even further.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

--
http://www.hailfinger.org/